Actually it seems that xml/binary request writers only behave differently
when using array[] as the value. if I use ArrayList it also works with the
xml format (4.1 branch). Still it's annoying that the two request writers
behave differently so I guess it's worth adding the jira anyway.

The Affects version should be 4.0.