Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 2:49 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Terminology question: Core vs. Collection vs...

A "factor" is multiplied, so multiplying the leader by a replicationFactor of 1 means you have exactly one copy of that shard.

I think that recycling the term "replication" within Solr was confusing, but it is a bit late to change that.

wunder
Yes, the term "factor" is not misleading, but the term "replication" is.
If we keep calling shard-instances for "Replica" I guess "replicaFactor"
will be ok - at least much better than "replicationFactor". But it would
still be better with e.g. "ShardInstance" and "InstancesPerShard"