: > I seem to recall that facet cache is not per segment so every time the
: > index is updated the facet cache will need to be re-computed.
:
: That is correct. We haven't experimented with segment based faceting

Not true ... per segment FIeldCache support is available in solr
faceting, you just have to specify facet.method=fcs (FieldCache per
Segment)

the default is facet.method=fc (FieldCache) which uses a single FieldCache
for the whol index because if you are not using NRT facet on a monolithic
FieldCache tends to be much faster then faceting on the individiaul
segment caches.

-Hoss