Indexing happens on one Solr server. After a commit, the documents are
searchable. In Solr 4, there is a "soft commit", which makes the documents
searchable, but does not create on-disk indexes.

Solr replication copies the committed indexes to another Solr server.

Solr Cloud uses a transaction log to make documents available before a hard
commit.

Solr does not have rollback. A commit succeeds or fails. After it succeeds,
there is no going back.

wunder

--
Walter Underwood