In Ubuntu, I've added it to /etc/default/tomcat7 in the JAVA_OPTS options.

For example, I have:
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx2048m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"
JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -DnumShards=2 -Djetty.port=8080
-DzkHost=zookeeper01.dev.:2181 -Dboostrap_conf=true"

--
Nate Fox
Sr Systems Engineer

o: 310.658.5775
m: 714.248.5350

Follow us @NEOGOV <http://twitter.com/NEOGOV> and on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/neogov>

NEOGOV <http://www.neogov.com/> is among the top fastest growing software
companies in the USA, recognized by Inc 500|5000, Deloitte Fast 500, and
the LA Business Journal. We are hiring!<http://www.neogov.com/#/company/careers>