On 4/9/2013 12:08 PM, P Williams wrote:
I wrote a test of my application which revealed a Solr oddity (I think).
  The test which I wrote on Windows 7 and makes use of the
solr-test-framework<http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_1_0/solr-test-framework/index.html>
fails
under Ubuntu 12.04 because the Solr results I expected for a wildcard query
of the test data are ordered differently under Ubuntu than Windows.  On
both Windows and Ubuntu all items in the result set have a score of 1.0 and
appear to be ordered by docid (which looks like in corresponds to
alphabetical unique id on Windows but not Ubuntu).  I'm guessing that the
root of my issue is that a different docid was assigned to the same
document on each operating system.

It might be due to differences in how Java works on the two platforms, or even something as simple as different Java versions. I don't know a lot about the underlying Lucene stuff, so this next sentence may not be correct: If you have are not starting from an index where the actual index directory was deleted before the test started (rather than deleting all documents), that might produce different internal Lucene document ids.

The data was imported using a DataImportHandler configuration during a
@BeforeClass step in my JUnit test on both systems.

Any suggestions on how to ensure a consistently ordered wildcard query
result set for testing?

Include an explicit sort parameter. That way it will depend on the data, not the internal Lucene representation.

Thanks,
Shawn