These are really good metrics for me:

You say that RAM size should be at least index size, and it is better to
have a RAM size twice the index size (because of worst case scenario).

On the other hand let's assume that I have a RAM size that is bigger than
twice of indexes at machine. Can Solr use that extra RAM or is it a
approximately maximum limit (to have twice size of indexes at machine)?