I am sorry but you said:

*you need enough free RAM for the OS to cache the maximum amount of disk
space all your indexes will ever use*

I have made an assumption my indexes at my machine. Let's assume that it is
5 GB. So it is better to have at least 5 GB RAM? OK, Solr will use RAM up
to how much I define it as a Java processes. When we think about the
indexes at storage and caching them at RAM by OS, is that what you talk
about: having more than 5 GB - or - 10 GB RAM for my machine?