From: Shawn Heisey-4 [via Lucene]
[mailto:ml-node+s472066n4057027...@n3.nabble.com]
Sent: 18 April 2013 PM 09:38
To: Sawan Verma
Subject: Re: TooManyClauses: maxClauseCount is set to 1024

On 4/18/2013 6:02 AM, sawanverma wrote:
> Hi Yonik,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I tried increasing the maxClauseCount to a bigger value. But what could be
> the ideal value and will not that hit the performance? What are the chances
> that if we increase the value we will not face this issue again?

Changing the maxBooleanClauses value does not affect performance.  It's
just an arbitrary limit on query complexity.  You can make it as big as
you want and Solr's performance will not change.  For most people, 1024
is plenty.  For others, we have no idea how many clauses are needed.

The queries themselves with large numbers of clauses are what affects
performance, and the only way to improve it is to decrease the query
complexity.  Chances are good that you are already experiencing the
performance hit associated with large queries.  Adding more clauses to a
query will reduce performance.  If you find yourself in a situation
where you continually need more boolean clauses, you may need to start
over and create a better design.

The maxBooleanClauses value is just a safety net, created long ago when
Lucene worked differently than it does now.  There is a discussion
currently happening among committers about whether that limit even needs
to exist.  Very likely the limit in Solr will be removed in the near future.

Thanks,
Shawn