My off the cuff thought is that there are significant costs trying to
do this that would be paid by 99.999% of setups out there. Also,
usually you'll run into other issues (RAM etc) long before you come
anywhere close to 2^31 docs.

Lucene/Solr often allocates int[maxDoc] for various operations. when
maxDoc approaches 2^31, well memory goes through the roof. Now
consider allocating longs instead...

which is a long way of saying that I don't really think anyone's going
to be working on this any time soon, especially when SolrCloud removes
a LOT of the pain /complexity (from a user perspective anyway) from
going to a sharded setup...

FWIW,
Erick