My _guess_ is that you're perhaps using
edismax or similar and getting matches from
fields you don't expect on terms you that are
not stopwords. Try adding &debug=query and
seeing what the parsed query actually is.

And, of course, I have no idea what Datastax is
doing.

And, you have to at least reload the core
to pick up the new stopwords.

Best
Erick