Thanks to you all and finally it seems that I figured out a workaround.

Yes I used edismax, but my test query was very simple,  it only queries one
field and uses only one stopword. So i see no chance it would hit another
field (but datastax might have done something we don't know). &debug didn't
yield useful information either.

So what I did was to keep the stopFilterFactory element for index analyzer
but without specifying our stopword file. I reindexed all solr cores. This
time it seems like I could get stopwords frequency info from Luke, while
queying stopwords returned 0 match.

my wild guess is that the stopFilterFactory for index analyze serves as an
overall "on" switch for the stopwords feature.

Erick Erickson wrote