Sorry if it was not clear.

What I would like is to know how to construct an XML/JSON request that
provide any necessary information (supposedly the full path on disk) to
solr to retrieve and index a pdf/ms word document.

So, an XML request could look like this:

<add>
<doc>
<field name="id">doc10</field>
<field name="name">BLAH</field>
<field name="path">/path/to/file.pdf</field>
</doc>
</add>

Regards,

Roland.