We are working on an application that allows some users to add files (pdf,
ms word, odt, etc), located on their local hard disk, to our internal
system and allows other users to search for them. So we are considering
Solr for the indexing and search functionalities of the system. Along with
the file content, we want to index some metadata related to the file.

It seems obvious that Solr couldn't import the file from the local disk of
the user, so the system will have to import the file into a directory that
Solr can reach and instruct Solr to index the file with the metadata, but
is it possible to index the file + metadata with a JSON/XML request?

It seems that the only way to index a file with some metadata is to build a
request that would look like the following exemple that uses curl. The
developer would like to avoid using parameters in the url to pass arguments.

curl "
http://localhost:8080/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc10&literal.name=BLAH&defaultField=text";
--data-binary @/path/to/file.pdf -H "Content-Type: application/pdf"

Additionally, it seems that if a subsequent request is sent to the indexer
to update the file, if the metadata are not passed to Solr with the
request, they are deleted.

Thanks for your help,

Roland.