Hi guys,

We're on solr 3.6.1 and I've read the discussions about whether to optimize or
not to optimize.  I decided to try not optimizing our index as was recommended.
 We have a little over 15 million docs in our biggest index and a 32gb heap for
our jvm.  So without the optimizes the index folder seemed to grow in size and
quantity of files.  There seemed to be an upper limit but eventually it hit 300
files consuming 26gb of space and that seemed to push our slave farm over the
edge and we started getting the dreaded OOMs.  We have continuous indexing
activity, so I stopped the indexer and manually ran an optimize which made the
index become 9 files consuming 15gb of space and our slave farm started having
acceptable memory usage.  Our merge factor is 10, we're on java 7.  Before
optimizing, I tried on one slave machine to go with the latest JVM and tried
switching from the CMS GC to the G1GC but it hit OOM condition even faster.  So
it seems like I have to continue to schedule a regular optimize.  Right now it
has been a couple of days since running the optimize and the index is slowly
growing bigger, now up to a bit over 19gb.  What do you guys think?  Did I miss
something that would make us able to run without doing an optimize?

Robert (Robi) Petersen
Senior Software Engineer
Search Department