Hi Robi,

I'm going to guess you are seeing smaller heap also simply because you
restarted the JVM recently (hm, you don't say you restarted, maybe I'm
making this up). If you are indeed indexing continuously then you
shouldn't optimize. Lucene will merge segments itself. Lower
mergeFactor will force it to do it more often (it means slower
indexing, bigger IO hit when segments are merged, more per-segment
data that Lucene/Solr need to read from the segment for faceting and
such, etc.) so maybe you shouldn't mess with that.  Do you know what
your caches are like in terms of size, hit %, evictions?  We've
recently seen people set those to a few hundred K or even higher,
which can eat a lot of heap.  We have had luck with G1 recently, too.
Maybe you can run jstat and see which of the memory pools get filled
up and change/increase appropriate JVM param based on that?  How many
fields do you index, facet, or group on?

Otis
Solr & ElasticSearch Support -- http://sematext.com/