Sorry, hit send too fast..

picking up:

from the answer by Jayendra on the link, collections and cores are the same
thing. Same is seconded by the config:

  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" defaultCoreName="collection1"
host="${host:}" hostPort="${jetty.port:8983}"
hostContext="${hostContext:solr}"
zkClientTimeout="${zkClientTimeout:15000}">
    <core name="collection1" instanceDir="." />
  </cores>

we basically define cores.

We have a plain {frontend_solr, shards} setup with solr 3.4 and were
thinking of starting off with it initially in solr 4. In solr 4: can one
get by without using collections = cores?

We also don't plan on using SolrCloud at the moment. So from our standpoint
the solr4 configuration looks more complicated, than that of solr 3.4. Are
there any benefits of such a setup for non SolrCloud users?

Thanks,

Dmitry