On 7/16/2013 12:41 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
Search this mailing list and you will find a very long discussion about the
terminology and confusion around it.My contribution to that was the crude
picture trying to explain it: http://bit.ly/1aqohUf . Maybe it will help.

If you don't want longer URL, do use solr.xml and use @adminPath and
@defaultCoreName
parameters. But you don't need the rest.

I'm relatively sure that defaultCoreName isn't there if you use the new core discovery mode that is default in the 4.4 example. This new mode will be the only option in 5.0. The old mode will continue to be supported throughout all 4.x versions.

I think getting rid of defaultCoreName is the right move - Solr has been multicore in the standard example for quite some time. Accessing Solr without a corename in the URL is a source of confusion for users when they venture outside the collection1 core that comes with the default example.

IMHO, the additional capability and confusion inherent with SolrCloud makes it even more important that the user include a collection/core name when making their request.

Thanks,
Shawn