On 1/22/2014 12:25 AM, Raymond Wiker wrote:
> Speaking for myself, I avoid using "client apis" like SolrNet, SolrJ and
> FAST DSAPI for the simple reason that I feel that the abstractions they
> offer are so thin that I may just as well talk directly to the HTTP
> interface. Doing that also lets me build web applications that maintain
> their own state, which makes for more responsive and more robust
> applications (although I'm sure there will be differing opinions on this).

If you have the programming skill, this is absolutely a great way to go.
 It does require a lot of knowledge and expertise, though.

If you want to hammer out a quick program and be reasonably sure it's
right, a client API handles a lot of the hard stuff for you.  When
something changes in a new version of Solr that breaks a client API,
just upgrading the client API is often enough to make the same code work
again.

I love SolrJ.  It's part of Solr itself, used internally for SolrCloud,
and probably replication too.  It's thoroughly tested with the Solr test
suite, and if used correctly, it's pretty much guaranteed to be
compatible with the same version of Solr.  In most cases, it will work
with other versions too.

Thanks,
Shawn