Hi,

I am one developer of a repository framework. We rely on the fact, that "SolrJ generally maintains backwards compatibility, so you can use a newer SolrJ with an older Solr, or an older SolrJ with a newer Solr." [1]

This statement is not even true for bugfix releases like 4.6.0 -> 4.6.1. (SOLRJ 4.6.1, SOLR 4.6.0)

We use SolrInputDocument from SOLRJ to index our documents (javabin). But as framework developer we are not in a role to force our users to update their SOLR server such often. Instead with every new version we want to update just the SOLRJ library we ship with to enable latest features, if the user wishes.

When I send a query to a request handler I can attach a "version" parameter to tell SOLR which version of the response format I expect.

Is there such a configuration when indexing SolrInputDocuments? I did not find it so far.

Kind regards,

Thomas

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj