I don't assume it was just a couple of updates?

If not, what happens when you run a make-test on eva's module?

No behaviour changes?

Also, are you on Nvidia or Intel side right now? Try switching to the
opposite with reboot and report back.

I run the same version of Ubuntu and do not experience any of the problems
you have...have you checked your Power Settings after the update?

Good Luck, maybe someone else here has a definitive answer...
-Anthony