On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:00:14AM +0200, Jiba wrote:

> Older version of Soya (< 0.7 i believe) were directly linked to
> libjpeg and libpng... however it had caused several troubles, like
> incompatibilities with some version of libpng, and portability
> problem.
>
> The current PIL version works well, so why should we change it ? PIL
> is a dependency, but libpng and libjpeg are TWO dependencies; and as
> being a Python module, PIL is more portable and can be loaded at
> runtime (i.e. soya doesn't need PIL as long as you don't load image,
> which is the case for most game, since image are saved in material
> files in raw data).
>
> As a consequence, i'm not convinced. However, using libmng or whatever
> for loading MNG and so on is ok.

Again, there are specific problems with using PIL:

1) Images are currently sent to OpenGL decoded.  This is wasteful of
ram and CPU power.  Decoding should only happen when nessesary.

2) PIL doesn't support APNG, MNG, or Ogg Theora

3) PIL has libpng and libjpeg as dependencies, therefore so does Soya,
and PIL also has many more libraries as dependencies

PIL is dual-licensed, meaning they only GPL older versions while making
people pay for the newest.  For this reason I don't want to contribute
to them to add APNG/etc support (nor do I want anyone else to).