> The alternative that I see to adding animation support to soya.Image is
> to have a soya.Video or soya.AnimImage
>
> Then whereever a soya.Image class is expected the type-check needs to
> also allow for an animation/video/etc to be passed as well.
>
> I believe this is wrong.  An animated gif, apng, etc should not have
> special handling procedures in the API.  This is non-intuitive, going
> against your "Soya Spirit" document.

No, we should have an AnimatedImage class, which inherits from the Image class
and thus has the same API, but may have also additional attributes or methods,
such as a "animation_speed" or "number_of_frame" attributes. Else, where would
you place the "animation_speed" attribute ?

And it is not counter-intuitive, since it is obvious that a video is not an
image!

> PIL is not a standard Python module.  Nor would an alternative to PIL.

PIL is de factor a commonly used module, well-known by Python developers.

> > I don't know about APNG, but why not ? However, normal PNG should
> > still relies on PIL.
>
> That is needlessly retaining PIL as a dependency.  If a single, small
> Python module can provide PNG, JPEG, APNG, and whatever other standard
> formats may be desired, this is the module Soya should use.

I'm repeating myself, but i've had enough trouble with libPNG to avoid using
it. If APNG / MNG support is broken, it is not as serious as if all image and
video support are broken.

And the PIL dependency is not useless, since PIL can do many more than loading
image, such saving images (useful for taking screenshot) and manipulating and
modifying images.

> > If you want to develop a new image library for Python, do it but
> > please understand that it is NOT a Soya-related project, and that Soya
> > might or may not use it, and surely won't use it until it would be as
> > stable and well-accepted than PIL.
>
> All the more reason to have the subversion server at svn.soya3d.org;
>   "Branching Made Easy".

I'm sorry but no. However, I'll probably set up SVN instead of CVS on Gna! as
soon as I'll get time to dive into that.

Jiba