I'm trying to draw text on the screen as a person writes it:

with soya.pudding, as soon as soya.pudding.init() is called, the
program crashes with this trace:

>>> soya.pudding.init()
* Soya Pudding * Version: 0.1-0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/soya/pudding/__init__.py",
line 69, in init
    STYLE = style or Style()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/soya/pudding/style.py", line
26, in __init__
    self.default_font = soya.Font(soya.pudding.sysfont.SysFont('sans,
freesans'), 15, 15 )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/soya/__init__.py", line 1110,
in __init__
    _soya._Font.__init__(self, filename, width, height)
  File "text.pyx", line 61, in _soya._Font.__init__
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py", line 171, in exists
    st = os.stat(path)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

Happens in the tutorial examples.

Thats fine, I'll just use widget then:
I set up widget.label and get it to display, but with one woe:
If there is a space in the label's text, only the text before the
space will be displayed...
thats no good!

I don't care about widget so much;  I'd rather use pudding, but
neither seem to work!
pudding crashes with the same traceback on both of my linux machines,
one that uses soya .12 and the other using .13.

Is there a work a good around for this? (that preferably doesn't
involve using underscores instead of spaces with soya.widget.label ;)
)