..on or around Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:02:02AM +0100, Jan Ciger said:

> Jacques Rebourcier wrote:
> > Le Sunday 04 November 2007 12:09:06 Jiba, vous avez écrit :
> >
> >> Do you know the Mandriva packager ? These information should be given to
> >> him.
> >
> > No, but I can open a bug in cooker do the follow-up if you want. Do you
> > plan
> > to make a release soon (if so I suggest to wait a little to update and fix
> > package for the next version) ?
> >
> > Jacques
>
> Yes, please open a bug against OpenAL. The configuration should be
> changed to ALSA by default.

it seems amazing to me that they default to the (now legacy) OSS.
i looked around:

  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=openal+oss+default&btnG=Search

as you can see there is obviously plenty of awareness of the problem
by people actively involved with OpenAL development.

regardless, i'm not sure this is something which needs to be filed against
OpenAL - which may have their own commitments to the pre-ALSA <= 2.4.*
kernels - but specific distributions of OpenAL themselves. a package
maintainer could override the defaults by writing a saner rc file to  ~/.

on Ubuntu, for instance, there's already been talk of it:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/openal/+bug/5362

cheers,

julian

--