On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:49:30AM +0530, Vikram Rai wrote:

> Installed spacewalk with version 0.3 and got permission denied and internal
> errors which do not give information as to what went wrong.
>
> Installed 0.4 and got:
>
> Tomcat failed to start properly or the installer ran out of tries.  Please
> check /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out for errors. Which does not give proper
> information as to what is missing.

Generally, the spacewalk-setup will restart all the services and then
wait some more for tomcat to finish its startup, and do some GET
requests to see if it can get to that tomcat (via httpd). Sometimes,
especially if you try this on a virtual machine with low memory or
similar setup, it will give up before the tomcat finished starting but
maybe it finished a bit later. Could you check if the catalina.out has
line similar to

        INFO: Server startup in 20553 ms

and if you can get to the Spacewalk WebUI via browser?

> We have tried the guide and all information available on the net to install
> a dev environment with source and have reached so far as to say that the
> documents do not have information to say that on a fresh redhat5 enterprise
> server you would need the following pre- requisites.

Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do and what
results you get?

> My question here is that, what guide would be best to follow to know how to
> get around these errors that we are facing? Is there a list of
> pre-requisites or deps available? It might make things easier.
>
> If it works on one system and not on the other then there is something
> missing and I would like to narrow this down to what is it that is required
> for an install??

I'm not sure what prerequisites you have it mind. If you do a fresh
install of Spacewalk 0.4,

        https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall

is the primary source of information, and it served me well in the
past.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat