On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 08:23:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's not clear to me whether any part of Spacewalk depends on having
> such a name.  If it does, then we'd have to fake it by translating
> simple "NOT NULL" into a "CHECK (field IS NOT NULL)" constraint, which
> takes more catalog space and is probably a bit slower to check too.
>
> If this is considered not necessary, then I support Jeff's approach
> of removing the names altogether, in hopes of making the Oracle and
> Postgres behaviors more alike (ie, prevent any Oracle-based developer
> from inserting a dependency on the name of some NOT NULL constraint...)

It's not Spacewalk runtime functionality which depends on the names.
It's schema upgrades and their validation which are done easier if
you know that freshly installed schema and schema upgraded all the way
up from an ancient Spacewalk/Satellite version have the same
constraints, including their names.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Software Engineer, Satellite Engineering, Red Hat