On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:06:47PM +0200, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:

> Yes, we do all development on SUSE Manager and then rebase against
> master what we want to upstream. It makes total sense.

It may make sense from SUSE's point of view. Not sure it makes sense
from upstream project health point of view.

> - Spacewalk code is very "distro" oriented.

In what way? In the way that the team tries hard to release binary
signed rpms with each release to allow the administrators just upgrade
the software without having to compile it?

>                               It is not possible right now
> to "run" it from the source tree.

What are the patches to make it possible?

>                               It needs packaging and "productizing"
> in order to run it.

We figured that's exactly how our users would want to use it.

>               Spacewalk is very tied to Fedora in this regard.

Not really -- all recent Spacewalk releases were done both on Fedoras
*and* on RHEL 5 and 6.

> Running vanilla Spacewalk on SUSE would be a big effort and %ifdefs in
> the spec files (like they are in our tree. /srv/www vs /var/www anyone)

Why didn't you send those %ifdefs for review? If this is the only
thing which blocks you do do Spacewalk vanilla releases on SUSE, I'm
sure the Spacewalk team will be happy to consider those patches for
master.

> - If you do a feature in Spacewalk master, you just do it and commit it.
> We have to ask for review and then the feature may not be accepted.
> Therefore the inverse work-flow, cherry-picking in our tree what looks
> good to upstream, makes more sense.

There are SUSE developers who have commit access to Spacewalk git,
based on their history of providing sensible bug fixes and
contributions. Trust is built over time. If you start with small fixes
and features, if the patches are clean against master and they are
correct and not disturbing the rest of the Spacewalk, you will build
trust for future big changes that you may have planned.

> - Stuff like porting pages, happened as the side-effect of features we
> will have anyway in our tree but we don't know yet if we will be
> accepted upstream,

The longer you wait and the longer you hack in your tree, the bigger
the patchset will be when you decide to show ti upstream, and the
harder will be for upstream to easily accept the feature.

>               so we can't start the other way around, and we can't
> decide whether we do or not a feature based on whether upstream will
> take it or not (like it happened with SSH push).

Check that communication again. I raised some general questions about
the overall client -- server mechanism, issues that we saw with it in
the past, and how it could be improved. I did not see answer that
would indicate willingness to work on existing issues to improve the
situation and maybe get the ssh push feature in as a well aligned
part of the future setup. It was presented as mostly additional code
which increased the complexity of the code (duplication of the
scheduling functionality), solution that you propose in one form
without being prepared to contribute to improving the overall setup.

> We should really figure out a "run from source" here :-)

In the Spacewalk team, some developers run Spacewalk in their
developer's setup which I assume is equivalent to the "run from
source" wish. It's not my preferred approach as it in the past
lead to different setup being used than what we then released to
users, leading to missed bugs. However, I can well understand the
desire to do so for some reason, so if there are any patches to make
it easier, just submit them for review.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat