Yes, you lose non-US locales working.  The change was actually in response to a
question from someone who receives Russian email where the subject line is
/^[^a-z]*$/ but contains no capital letters, ie for Russian locale, it's not
/^[^[:lower:]]$/ -- of course it didn't completely fix his problem, but that's
another story.  I wasn't aware of the problem with these POSIX-style classes.
I'll rewrite the pattern, which I was going to do anyway but I think the best
way to do it requires bugzilla #47 to be finished first.