On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Craig R. Hughes muttered drunkenly:
> Bart Schaefer wrote:

> BS> > I'm not sure what the GPL requires of you if you modify config files
> BS> > which interact programmatically with GPLed code
> BS>
> BS> All config files interact programmatically with the software they're
> BS> configuring.  Whether the config file happens to be written in the same
> BS> language as the software is irrelevant.
>
> But some config files are more programmatic than others.  Is EvalTests.pm code,
> or config file?  How about the rules files which contain the more complex
> regular expressions?  What's the difference between EvalTest and the rule files?
> How about between EvalTest and PerMsgStatus?  PerMsgStatus and SpamAssassin?
> Getting a clearer sense of the potential issues?

Ask [EMAIL PROTECTED] :)

Bear in mind that you can license different bits of a program
differently; for instance, you could license the EvalTests.pm under a
dual license permitting free modification and redistribution, or
mod/redist under the GPL.

(Only the author can relicense, of course.)

> BS> "Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> BS> covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> BS> running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
> BS> is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
> BS> Program (independent of having been made by running the Program)."
> BS>
> BS> The usual IANAL applies, but I don't think installing SA on a machine you
> BS> own and allowing users of the machine to run it can be said to constitute
> BS> "copying" or "distribution" to those users.
>
> modification though is covered,

Copyright licenses by their very definition only cover copying/
distribution. You can modify to your heart's content and the GPL doesn't
need to be consulted; it's only when you try to distribute that you have
to consult it to see if you're allowed to distribute it.

> BS> I don't think you're reading 2(b) that wrong, but just because the program
> BS> reads and executes a config file doesn't mean that the config file is
> BS> "contained" in the "work."  (If the GPL included a definition of a "work"
> BS> a lot of this confusion could be avoided.)  "Running the Program is not
> BS> restricted" -- if the config file doesn't become part of the program until
> BS> the program runs, it's not covered.
>
> Can I build any extension I want to on a GPL base and just all those extra bits
> config files?  Or just call the parts I don't want the GPL to apply to config
> files?  If that's true then the GPL strikes me as providing no value.

The GPL does not mention `config files'. There is the work, and there is
`everything else'.

I'd say (guessing wildly; IANAL) that the standardly provided rules
files *are* part of the work, but user config files are not. Ask
[EMAIL PROTECTED] :)

--
`Unless they've moved it since I last checked, travelling between
 England and America does not involve crossing the equator.'