Daniel Quinlan wrote:

DQ> Craig R Hughes writes:
DQ>
DQ> > So we cannot include the languages analysis library as a plugin to
DQ> > SA without placing under the GPL.  This sounds like you agree with
DQ> > the basic problem I think I have with such an inclusion.
DQ>
DQ> I think it could be "solved" by distributing it separately (quite easy
DQ> since the rules files are modular), but it's a moot point because the
DQ> TextCat author has agreed to license TextCat under the same terms as
DQ> Perl: a dual GPL and Artistic license.  :-)

Great.  It's always good to spend a day or two a month wrangling over licensing
issues and ideology :)  Thanks everyone for staying amazingly fervor free
through this and keeping the discussion more or less on point.

DQ> As far as the overhead of language guessing goes, I was able to reduce
DQ> the disk usage from 304k to 108k by concatenating the language files
DQ> and removing unused fields and it also takes about 1/3 less time now.

Great!  Having been through the whole discussion the last few days, the intent
of course remains to have SA have all its code available and release back
updates of thing we use for further refinement.  What I was mostly concerned
with is making sure that anyone using SA (ISPs, etc) wouldn't need to be hugely
concerned with licensing issues if they decided to modify the code and then
offer to other entities/users in some way.  There may or may not be a problem
with that under the GPL; there fairly clearly is no problem doing anything like
that under the PAL.