On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Craig R. Hughes muttered drunkenly:
> Nix wrote:
> N> Bear in mind that you can license different bits of a program
> N> differently; for instance, you could license the EvalTests.pm under a
> N> dual license permitting free modification and redistribution, or
> N> mod/redist under the GPL.
>
> But if you package them all together, you can't.  As I understand the GPL, if
> you package it all together, it all has to be GPL if any part of it is.

Such packaging would probably be `mere aggregation'.

> N> (Only the author can relicense, of course.)
>
> Well, the copyright holder, which is not necessarily the author.

True.

> N> Copyright licenses by their very definition only cover copying/
> N> distribution. You can modify to your heart's content and the GPL doesn't
> N> need to be consulted; it's only when you try to distribute that you have
> N> to consult it to see if you're allowed to distribute it.
>
> I would think that public performances also involve issue of copyright.  If you
> are an ISP and "performing" the software for your users, and have modified that
> software, you're going to have to perform under the terms of the license.  If

The GPL clause 0 states

,----
| Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
| covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
| running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
| is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
| Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
| Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.
`----

so the GPL does not apply, and you can hack it as much as you like.

(This is a flaw in the GPL which is apparently going to be fixed in v3,
in that a network-accessible service made out of GPLed code which has
been modified will need to have the source made available. The reasoning
behind this is, I hope, obvious :) )

> N> I'd say (guessing wildly; IANAL) that the standardly provided rules
> N> files *are* part of the work, but user config files are not. Ask
> N> [EMAIL PROTECTED] :)
>
> I'd probably agree with that, but the line between user config files and
> "standardly provided rules" is way blurry, particularly with the
> allow_user_rules option in 2.20 -- again I think our best option is to pursue
> the suggestion of GPL section 10 rather than try and solve the puzzling gray
> areas that continue to shroud the GPL itself.

I'd agree with that.

(The GPL holds up well for an eleven-plus year old license, but it
really *needs* that v3 revision round.)

--
`Unless they've moved it since I last checked, travelling between
 England and America does not involve crossing the equator.'