| > it seems like SA is trying to upgrade you preferences file
| (and fails because it is run by amavisd-new in perl -T mode)
| > Looks like a problem report for SA people.

>From Brian May:
| According to Duncan Findlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, who suddenly woke up
| when I reassigned this bug to spamassassin (I did ask everyone before I
| assigned it to to spamassassin, didn't I?), "spamassassin is not meant
| to run in -T mode".
|
| Duncan, spamassassin in stable works just fine with amavis.
| Why is it different now?
|
| Mark, do you agree with Duncan's assessment?
|
| I hope that it will be possible to get amavis working again
| to everybody's satisfaction...

It is hard to judge decisions made by SA people, when I'm not following
the discussions there closely. From amavisd-new standpoint it is
certainly unfortunately if SA must no longer be called with perl
in -T mode. This certainly worked in SA version so far, and perhaps
it would not be too much work to keep this nice behaviour.

amavisd-new will not drop running in taint-checking mode. It is one
of the safeguards agains configuration mistakes and programming errors.
For a software that inspects and decodes tons of strange e-mail
messages per day, over which one has no control, every little bit
of extra protection helps.

If amavisd-new would need to avoid calling Mail::SpamAssassin directly
as a Perl module, but had to either fork a new process or learn
yet another protocol, we lose many of the benefits of the fact
that SA is available as a Perl module. Being stuck to the SA 2.31
is another unappealing option.

I can only appeal to the SA people to consider keeping SA
operational in the taint-checking mode, as it was so far
(and like Vipul's Razor is now - due to popular demand,
but wasn't in the distant past)

Regards
   Mark

--
  !!  Mark Martinec (system manager)     tel  +386 1 4773-575 !!