On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 05:58:11PM -0500, dogface wrote:
> from what i have read on this list
> i would of expected nothing less than
> the response i got from you.

I'm confused. This mailing list is generally quite informative.

> A. after 3 posts maybe someone could have said
> that there are no options for what i am asking.

After 2 posts, I would have assumed that what I am asking has not been
done, not that everyone on the mailing list is being particularly
unhelpful. However, you aren't the only one that's come to this
conclusion recently. Perhaps we need a FAQ or warning somewhere as
follows:

Q. Why has my question not been answered? Should I ask again?

A. We don't know the answer or you have not provided sufficient
information. [insert info on what to provide]. Unless you have more
info to add, please do not ask again for at least one week. If you
still do not get a reply, assume nobody knows the answer to your
problem. If you manage to solve your problem on your own, please mail
the list and explain what your problem was and how you fixed it so
that people with your problem in the future will be able to find an
answer.

> B. i already said that i read all i could find because
> i did not get any help from this list. i have been RTFM'ing
> for over a month. google is your friend.

Great.

> C. postfix rules.

Don't start a flamewar, please.

> D. i would be very willing to give more information if
> i would have gotten ANY kind of a response telling me to
> give specifics on whatever they needed to know to help me.

Perhaps you should have just given this extra info (too much info is
better than not enough).

> E. do a search on google about SA and postfix. you will see a
> LOT of questions from people, Very few if even that on answers.

Well, then few people know how to use SA with postfix. I use SA with
procmail. Of course, I won't be able to help you.

> F. there was no threat. i need to do whatever i can do to help
> my users out. if SA cant do the job, i have no choice but to find
> something that can. how is that a threat? that's like owning a FORD
> that cant make it all the way to work everyday, or find an OLDS that
> Will. where is the threat? i have an issue that need to be
> resolved.

Agreed, there's no threat. Please don't say you have an issue that you
need to have resolved. We have no obligation to help you, demanding it
is only making us less likely to help.

> G. from where i stand. a simple "no" or "cant be done" is Way
> better than nothing.

A "no" or "can't be done" would be a lie. I'm not going to lie to you.
I'm sure what you propose can be done, given sufficient will and a
little bit of coding. So the answer is "Yes, it can be done, but I
don't know if anyone's done it."

It certainly is impratical for everyone to respond in such a manner
every time someone posts to the list, not to mention it being a waste
of bandwidth and everyone's time. You really don't want 200 messages
all saying "I'm sure it could be done, but I don't know how"

--
Duncan Findlay