On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Mike Leone wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) had this to say on 12/13/02 at 18:20:
> >
> > This varies depending on the MDA.  With maildrop (used with Maildir), you
> > would have something like:
> >
> > if ((/^X-Spam-Status:.*Yes/))
> > {
> >     echo "Your Email was Rejected by our SPAM filters. Sorry."
> >     EXITCODE=100
> >     exit
> > }
> >
> > to "./Maildir/."
>
> Hi James! (I'm an old customer :-)

I remember :)

> Anyway, how does that inform the spammer? The mail server must understand
> that EXITCODE=100 means REJECT the mail. So it's also a MTA-specific thing,
> I think. And the echo isn't handed back to the MTA, to be included in the
> REJECT message.

Maybe I need to rephrase that: It informs the *sender*.  What I like about
exit code 100 is that it doesn't queue the message and clog my queue.
Anyway, I've tested this.  It definitely passes the echo back.  Here is a
sample:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at *******
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work
out.

Your Email was Rejected by our SPAM filters. Sorry.

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                     http://3.am