I'm running a bunch of 6.2 servers here as well. Lots of things needed
upgrades from source. I think 6.2 also had the syslog problem that you had
to upgrade. (Been a while since I did that.)

I've also heard 7.3 is great to run production on. I'm going to wait for
10.X (Where X !=0 ) before working on any new installs. Otherwise 7.3 for
me!