Bob offers an excellent, thourogh response:

[...]
3. An ISP you're sending mail to or receiving mail from is using
SpamAssassin. Entirely possible and getting more likely every day.

Unfortunately, of course, sending mail directly back to the sender hardly
ever works because the sender's address is usually a forgery. In fact, it
is probably only the legitimate senders, who had their e-mail misdiagnosed
as spam, who will receive such a reply, and if they're not computer savvy,
they're going to be confused and possibly angered by a bounced message with
a spam report at the beginning. :)

Here's an excerpt from this excellent spam "what to do" page,
http://www.spamabuse.org/content_DelaingwithSpam-WhattoDo.htm

3.1 What To Say to the Sender
Nothing. That's right, don't say anything, at least not via email.

First of all, there's not much point. Odds are it's a bogus address. Most of
the junk email messages I have received had forged addresses, and most of
those were not real addresses anyway.

Even if it is a real response address, it may simply be a mailbot that will
automatically send you more junk email as a reward for your "interest."

Generally, even the valid addresses bounce, because the mailbox is already
filled with other angry messages. As I mentioned before, it also could be
that the address is that someone else that the junk emailer wanted to
punish.

Secondly, it has been purported on the net that email responses, especially
(and perversely) responses to "REMOVE" request addresses, are in fact used
to verify real email addresses, increasing the value of the list for resale.
I have no proof of this, but I have seen "validated" lists of email
addresses for sale. Never, ever reply to a "remove" address.

Therefore, I do not recommend responding directly to the sender by email at
all.

This is not to say that you should never attempt to contact a junk emailer
to express your displeasure, but I recommend fax, phone (toll-free is even
better) or even regular snail-mail (see Phone, Fax, and Snail Mail
name or email address just to lodge a complaint.

GF: So, to do this right, an automated script might want to derive the ISP's
or relay's closest
e-mail domain, and send a note to that site's postmaster, or abuse@ address.
This
free service maintains a database to make that process more reliable:
http://abuse.net/ and their fowarding service, http://abuse.net/howwork.html
This and some magic like that in Theo Van Dinter's spam reporting script
might
actually be feasible, practical, and follow accepted guidelines. If there's
a consensus that this would be a Good Thing, I'll volunteer to help,
especially
on the procmail bits.