----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:09 PM
Subject: [SAtalk] Non English Email

> I am using Spamassassin to filter english and italian
> email but the false positive rate seems to be allot
> higher with the italian email, does anyone have any
> experience using SA with non english email ? Are
> there any options to help my situation ?

Hello,
My client base is in Greece, I found that I have to adjust just a few tests.
eg
score SUBJ_FULL_OF_8BITS 1.5
score BASE64_ENC_TEXT 1.0

subj full of 8 bits is 3.5 normaly and obviously a greek subject line using the greek
character set will be all 8 bit.
Many people use base64 too I think outlook defaults to that for non ascii email,
anyhow there is alot of forign language email which is base64 encoded html.

What you can do is get an email that has triggered a false positive.
Look at the tests it triggered, then try to figure out which ones are triggered
because something used in itilain email is unusual in English email and simply reduce
the score for that test by enough to offset the error.

Also since there is little spam originating from greece, and that which does is in
greek so not caught by the default rules anyway, I can add a rule with a negative
score of 2 or 3 if the from address ends in .gr obviously the from could be forged but
I find a low score like -2 is just enough to balance things out.

Feel free to send me some of your false positives with the report if you have any
trouble figuring out which rules are the ones to tweak.

Bayes is another way to go, but I think it is more correct to fix the scores that do
not apply to your language first, it is certianly quicker.

Stuart Gall
Systems Administrator