Kristian Koehntopp wrote:

Does LDAP interface with DBI?

http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Database_Interfaces does not list
a DBI interface to LDAP. Also, in my personal experience, you
cannot interface LDAP as a relational database without paying
huge performance penalities (LDAP is not even in first normal
form).

OTOH, LDAP should be able to store configuration variable
values.

Dunno if I'm helping anyone with this - I'm trying at least:

I'm an Openldap freak. I use a single LDAP directory for just about all possible services and authentication/authorization on my machines.

If you compile your own (release >= 2.1.10, say) Openldap stuff, the opportunity is there to compile in an SQL/LDAP interface module that can be addressed using ODBC or other SQL drivers. It's generally reckoned to be horrible by the experts, since it slows down everything - but some people want it and use it. In that case, one would use an SQL backend such as MySQL, Oracle, ProgresSQL etc to interface with LDAP. This is *not* What Kristian is looking for.

To interface with LDAP proper, SA would have to have a comprehensive set of LDAP v3 modules built in. These already exist for Perl, and are documented. I'm not a Perl person, but I'm a PHP4 person and use the PHP LDAP modules/functions/classes for web-based clients. SA would also have to have its own dedicated LDAP schema, defining LDAP v3 object classes and attributes in which to store preferences. This is the way to go, but it's definitely not a task to be undertaken lightly, nor by anyone not thoroughly familiar with programming for LDAP and all LDAP's workings. Not to speak of interfacing with the different LDAP backends available and in common use (Openldap, Sun/Netscape, Novell eDirectory, MS Active directory, IBM etc.)

HTH,

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw

There's none so daft as them as will not learn

http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm
http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]