On 7/24/03 9:17 PM, "Kevin Buzzard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I know I can change the point scoring system in spamassassin, but I don't
>>> get the logic of the default set-up here: if an email is listed in Razor2,
>>> then how can it not be spam?
>>
>> It could be a newsletter or another legit mail, that has been
>> erraneously reported to Razor. This is actually quite common for
>> a short time period after such a newsletter is mailed out.
>
> Well, if "listed in razor" means "lots of people got this email recently
> and we're still wondering whether it's spam", how about
>
> RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_91_100 (1.2 points)  BODY: Razor2 gives a spam confidence
> level between 91 and 100
>
> Surely now this says "lots of people got this email recently, and we're
> pretty sure it's spam". Why doesn't this score +100?
>
> I note in passing that none of
>
> grep RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_91_100 my_ham_mailbox
> grep PYZOR_CHECK my_ham_mailbox
> grep RAZOR2_CHECK my_ham_mailbox
>
> give me any output at all, i.e. none of my ham emails *at all* are listed
> in razor or pyzor. I notice also that *almost all* of the spam that lands
> in my inbox, i.e. that spamassassin misses, triggers razor or pyzor, but
> that this wasn't enough. I am coming to the conclusion that, for _me_ at
> least, bumping up the scores for these three tests might be a good idea. I
> am running this past the newsgroup so they can tell me what disasters are
> about to befall me!
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

 you might want to read this:

 http://theory.whirlycott.com/~phil/antispam/rbl-bad/rbl-bad.html

just because to date you haven't received any ham that's scored on razor,
but that doesn't mean that it's not possible at all.

also, the spamassassin scores are run thru the GA as a whole, not as
individual rules. for instance, if you were using bayes, it might have a
lower score because the bayes routines may give the piece of mail an overall
higher score.

if you're asking for the opinion of the rest of us on the list, i'd say that
so far it's "leave it as it is, it's that way for a purpose"

of course, if it doesn't work for you, you have the option of changing the
scores yourself, or adding custom rules that are more applicable to your
needs personally.

hope you find this informational

alan