Hi Jim,

But the Message-Id is guaranteed by the host and not the MUA based on
sending domain.  Regardless of which domain you are sending from, you
Message-Id should contain the sending host (@SHOST).  RFC2822 indicates that
intent of the message is considered when modifying the Message-Id and not on
the origination.

As Dave pointed out to me though, the RFCs in this area are recommendations
only.  Adhering to a recommendation does not constitute compliance just like
not adhering to a recommendation does not constitute non-compliance.

> I suspect similar problems would arise with an ISP scenario,
> where they could have clients with virtual domains sending
> mail out through their SMTP server.

Even if the server is virtual hosting, the Message-Id would be better
described as @SHOST.domain regardless of the sending domain.  Uniqueness
would not be guaranteed by the domain any better than the host and basing it
on the host would better tie in with the audit trail.

--Larry