Now that is an interesting perspective.  It really is too close for comfort.

The one thing that has worked for me in using a Message-Id and a
Resent-Message-Id has been a rule I use to test if my gateway added it.
Since my gateway is a relay only, I should never see a Message-Id or a
Resent-Message-Id created by it.

I think I am mostly barking up the wrong tree with Message-Id.  However,
there is a pattern that I have yet to figure out with a "fake" Message-Id.
When you look at the Message-Id on a spam message, you can just tell it is
not right.  However, a regex just will not distinguish it from the real
thing.

--Larry