On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Mike Carlson wrote:

> I am trying to figure out a way to do something similar.
>
> I have it setup to use 5.5 as the minimum score. If it scores between 5.5
> and 10 it goes to the recipient as flagged spam, if it is between 10 and 15
> it would get flagged and forwarded to another mailbox on the local server
> (this is an SMTP gateway box), if it is above 15 it gets sent to /dev/null
> or something.
>
> The scores will probably need to be tweaked a bit, but having it sent to
> different places based on scores would be ideal.
>
> Anyone use this setup with FreeBSD/Sendmail/spamass-milter?
>
> -Mike

Mike,
Don't /dev/null the spam, reject it. Unlike the procmail/qmail/posfix-ites
you have the tools that enable you to "Do the right thing"(tm).
With SA+milter+sendmail on your incoming gateway you can give an SMTP
reject status to an attempt to hand you spam (or other nastygrams).

This is the right thing to do because:
 In the case of a legitimate message that, by some fluke, happens to score
strongly as spam it will get back to the sender rather than dissapearing
into the void.
 In the case of real spam, unlike a 'bounce' or return to sender, the
reject will -not- send it to some innocent bystander but will leave the
spamhaus holding the bag of garbage.
 In the case of some fool who has an open relay that spammers are
abusing, it will pile up on his machine and hopefully give him a clue
that there's something wrong with his system.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>