On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Mike Carlson wrote:

> How do I set up Sendmail to reject email with a high score or forward email
> to a local mailbox if it is within a certain range of score?
>
> I am a sendmail n00b, and so far my google searches haven't gotten me too
> far.

OK, you need 3 pieces:
  'spamd' built from the spamassassin kit
  'sendmail' built with the "milter" interface.
  a spamassassin-milter daemon (this is the connector between sendmail and
                                spamd)

Some spamassassin-milters that I know of are:
miltrassassin:  http://www.digitalanswers.org/check_local/miltrassassin.html
spamass-milter: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt
spamassassin_milter: http://www.runestig.com/osp.html

First check your sendmail to make sure that it's build with milter
support. On the mail server machine invoke sendmail with the options:

 sendmail -bt -d0.1

You should see some output like:

 Version 8.12.10
  Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
                USERDB XDEBUG

 ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = server13
  (canonical domain name) $j = server13.icaen.uiowa.edu
         (subdomain name) $m = icaen.uiowa.edu
              (node name) $k = server13

 ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
 Enter <ruleset> <address>

Note the 'Compiled with:' line needs to contain the entry 'MILTER' if
it does not then you need to either get a new sendmail that does or
using your sendmail source kit add the line:
  APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DMILTER')
to your site.config.m4 file and rebuild.
If your version is less than 8.12.10 you want to update for security
reasons.

Next build spamassassin, test, configure 'spamd' and test with 'spamc'
(spamd/spamc now support Unix domain sockets, but the milter may require
you to stay with TCP sockets).

Pick a milter, and build. Configure it to talk to spamd.

Add a "INPUT_MAIL_FILTER" line to your sendmail local.mc file and make
a new sendmail.cf config file. (the arguments of the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER
will depend upon your milter, see the docs with the milter).

kill -HUP your sendmail process to get it to read the new config file,
and watch your syslog mail.log file for errors and results.

There may well be packages out there that are are alreay built,
you might look for them. As I'm running this on a HP-UX box, I have to
build my own. ;)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>