On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Jack Gostl wrote:
>
> > By the way, there is an interesting article on "fighting back" by Paul
> > Graham called "Filters That Fight Back."
> >
> >     http://www.paulgraham.com/ffb.html
> >
> > He basically suggests culling URLs from spam and kicking off something
> > like wget to retrieve them. If enough people did that, you would have
> > what amounts to a DDOS attack on the people who pay the spammers.
>
> Given that spammers are now using hijacked machines as HTTP proxy servers,
> you're more likely to DDOS several dozen poor schmucks' home cable modem
> connections, and the intended target of the attack will never see more
> than a fraction of the traffic.  And because the spammers rotate their DNS
> across the proxies fairly rapidly, you probably won't even DDOS any given
> schmuck long enough for them to notice.

No... I think you missed something here. If the spam was hawking the "ABC
Corp. wrinkle removal cream", you would being going to the URL of "ABC
Corp.", not the machine that spammed you. This would put the economic
penalty squarely on the people who are supporting the spammers.

--

Jack Gostl      [EMAIL PROTECTED]