Leon Oosterwijk Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 9:28 AM

> What if spamassassin followed unsubscribe links for all emails
> that came through it's filter for emails that are obviously spam.

The unsubscribe links of the worst of the worst spammers either don't work
at all (invalid links, 404, etc.), or they simply confirm your email address
as valid. If anything this would, probably _increase_ the amount of spam you
get. The only place these links seem to work is for legitimate newsletters
and such, which I wouldn't want to be opted out of if SA accidentally scored
one as spam. In addition, many "unsubscribe" links are email-based opt-outs,
which don't work for me. Since I give out a different email address to
practically everyone, the auto-response wouldn't know which of my email
addresses to send from.

The idea's good, I just doubt it would work in practice.

cheers,
Colin

Colin A. Bartlett
Kinetic Web Solutions