It's from all over - I actually have an anti-spam service for my
clients, and so the potential is that it is multiple sites a day that
could be affected.

Of course the real solution to this one is to get Spamcop to back off
on this particular listing. I find it outrageous myself.  Even in the US
it's not always possible to get a fixed IP address in some locations for
small businesses and outside the US it's often simply not available.
Their rule seems to not care if you use a smart host to relay your mail
through - we have verified that the "originating" address is the one
that is blocked - so mail servers that 1) run on dynamically assigned
addresses and 2) any mail server that has to get a new IP address no
matter what the reason (just moving ISPs for example) is going to be hit
by this rule.  I don't even know how long it's been in existence - but a
customer contacted me yesterday to say that they were being blocked from
sending mail because they had a new IP address!  My guess is that this
is fairly new, because my own site changed IP addresses about a month
ago, and we did not get caught in this particular rule of theirs.  Even
though it "expires" after 24 hours if there are no complaints, 24 hours
of having outbound mail blocked can be a killer for a business.  With SA
we can at least control the impact through rules, but many sites simply
block based on the RBL itself.

Danita

>>> Chris Santerre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/6/2003 8:16:22
AM >>>

Dynamic
> DNS for their mail hosts due to costs (often in countries outside
the
> US, etc.).  Since a mail server using Dynamic DNS will change its IP
> address fairly often, this poses problems for our site because we
KNOW
> that we receive mail from such sites and cannot block them.

*snip*

Can you whitelist their domains or is it from all over? Taking away
-2.0 for
being in 2 net tests kind of defeats the purpose. You need to look for
specific things in the emails you _WANT_ to get. Are you an ISP or a
company? If a company, what do you do? If you sell widgets, then an
email
with widgets in it should get -1.0. And so on.....

You could give negative points for certain net blocks. Again, not very
specific and will open doors to spammers.

HTH
Chris Santerre
System Admin and SA Custom Rules Emporium keeper
http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/sa_rules.htm
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." -
Willy
Wonka