On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:48:44AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Found in a Nov. 1 posting to the SpamCop discussion list:
>
>  SpamCop now implements "pre-emptive" blocking of hosts. This is based on
>  non-SUBE points (mail volume) alone, and is not related to complaints. If
>  a host has no mail volume within the past 7 days except for a 1 day or
>  less period where it does show volume, it will be listed. For example, a
>  host which has no more than 24 hours history for sending mail will be
>  listed under the assumption that it is most likely a new source of spam
>  (since the great majority of new sources of email are sources of spam).
>  After 24 hours, we hope that users will have had a chance to report spam
>  from the new host - or not. If they do, then the other rules will list
>  the host. If they don't (and the host keeps sending mail), then it will
>  drop off the blacklist.
>
> Follow-ups have already raised issues such as "What if an ISP brings a new
> mail server on line?"

Then if used in a scoring system, you'll get some number of points, which
generally shouldn't be a problem for legitimate communications.  I've
always thought that this kind of list is an excellent idea.  I know there
are a few other companies working on adaptive lists based on mail volume
tied to IP addressess.  Checks and ballances would need to be implemented,
and the algorthym would be fairly complex.

I envisioned the system would be based on DNS since it would provide
simplistic integration into existing tools.  It would return something like
a probability that the IP address was a source of spam (say 0-99) based on
historical mail flows and, perhaps, integration into an abuse tracking
system like spamcops.  SpamAssassin could use the probability to determine
a score.

--
Kelsey Cummings - [EMAIL PROTECTED]           sonic.net, inc.
System Administrator                      2260 Apollo Way