From: Jennifer Wheeler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 4:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [SAtalk] Filtering.

Okay, I think I am with you now. It looks like you are set up fine.
When I first set up SA, I had to add *many* rules.  Especially porn
rules. I haven't done the upgrade yet, so I don't know what they added
to that porn.cf.  It was too liberal for me, so I added a LOT of porn
rules.  (plus Spammers are also hiding their words with tricks.  You
might check out a couple rules sites to make sure you are writing them
okay, and you also should do
"spamassassin --lint"  (without the quotes)
...it will tell you if you have errors in your config files.  Then
restart.

Check out
http://www.exit0.us/index.php

http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/sa_rules.htm

They have some excellent rules to download, and tips on writing rules.
You should get the popcorn, backhair and weeds sets because those will
stop a lot of the porn hiding behind messy html tricks.

That would be a good start.  But you will have to continue to add user
rules for porn, bad words, bad sites....  whatever works.  If you have
rules you've written that should work but don't, you could try posting
the rule to the list, and if someone sees the problem, they can then
point it out.  If the problem is not with the rule, then they will know
to ask about your setup.  I've only been using SA for about 3 months
now, and I'm better at rule writing than knowing the ins and outs of
setup.

You may have as many .cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin as you like. In
addition to my local.cf (to which I wrote most of my custom rules) I
think I have about 6 others right now. I have written about a thousand
rules. One of those 6 is my wb.cf, and I do all my whitelisting and
blacklisting in that file.

I hope that helps.  And I'm sorry if I told you something you already
knew to do!  And I'm sure this email was as confusing as I said yours
was :)  sorry, I'm at work and doing many things at once.
Jennifer