--On Tuesday, November 11, 2003 4:51 PM -0800 Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can add some better management
> around spam that we have blocked, that we need to forward onto the users?
>
> a.) I have been given the direction that we are going to be trapping all
> that we deem as spam and viruses. If we trap something that was not spam
> or a virus, we will forward it on to the end user after they call the help
> desk. (I don't overly agree with this, but this is the way it is for me
> ;) )

NEVER block spam. Pass it on to the end user marked as spam.

This is a VERY bad idea. Imagine someone (person A) sends one of your
customers (person B) a request for a quote for Widgets. It's marked as
spam, so person B never sees it. Person A goes with another vendor for
widgets. A week after that, person B calls person A to see if they need a
price quote. Person A tells person B they sent a request for a quote, but
when it was ignored, they went to a different vendor. Person B, your
customer, just lost a $500,000 deal.

I certainly don't want to be the helpdesk to get the call of "Why didn't I
get this e-mail?

> I was thinking of just throwing IMAP on this gateway box for the helpdesk
> to connect to, and search through the trapped spam / viruses. But im sure
> there is a better solution..... Cant see the forest through the trees
> kinda thing.

The solution is to mark the e-mail as spam, and deliver it to the intended
recipient. Anything else is a BAD idea.

We implemented filtering at the server level - denying mail from IP's
listed as open relays, Bad whois, etc. We did send a e-mail back to the
sender telling them their mail was rejected, and why.

You wouldn't believe the calls we got from people asking why they didn't
get mail from whoever. And BOY, were they upset when we told them we
couldn't retrieve the e-mail. And a few of these were from attorneys. We
very quickly found a way to 'whitelist' a domain if that domain wanted all
the mail from all the blackholes possible.

My suggestion to blocking mail marked as spam:

DON'T.

Evan